Our Days

Our days seem to go by so fast. We’ve been taking Lily Bean out a lot more than we used to, since she’s so good when we go out. We took a walk along Crescent Beach last weekend with her, and enjoyed what appeared to be the last sunny weekend of the year. We’ve taken her to her doctor’s appointments and out to lunch with Gran and to the grocery store and other shops. She’s a hit everywhere she goes. Everyone wants to look at her and marvel over how cute she is. We’re pretty proud parents.

I am amused that whenever a stranger realizes I’m the mother, they have this look of utter surprise and underlying, not-so-subtle disapproval. I really think they think I’m 15 years old or something. And then they get all confused when they see our wedding rings on both of our fingers. They just don’t understand the whole thing, haha. I don’t really care. I don’t offer any extra information (like how old I really am, or that we’re married, or that this was a planned pregnancy, etc.) unless they ask questions. Yet they never do. It’s easier, I guess, for strangers to give out their thoughts on their faces than to actually verbalize these thoughts.

Lily is learning that she can easily grab at her toy rings whenever she wants. She’s also learning that her arms can stretch out to reach things, versus always having them close to her body like they were before. It’s cute, because it looks like she wants to give me a high-5 whenever she stretches out that arm of hers. Her days are filled with lots of playing and lots of smiles and funny expressions. We’ve got a good overall schedule for her, almost by accident. As we both learn more about her, it’s easier to get a schedule going. Dave and I have split shifts, and it has worked very well for the both of us, even giving each of us alonetime by ourselves to play on the computer for several hours while the other two are sleeping.

Lily’s Schedule:

She wakes up at around 6a or 7a, after 7-8 hours of straight sleep.
She goes back to sleep after a quick feeding and a diaper change.
She wakes up again around 9a and proceeds to wake and nap every couple of hours until about 7 or 8p.
From 9p to around 12a, she is her MOST fussiest, and she feeds QUITE a lot during these hours. Anytime between these hours, she goes down for her nightly 7-8 hour sleep.

Lather, rinse, and repeat for the next day. Dave does the sleep shift, which is the hardest since she’s so darn fussy and tired and screaming for no good reason. She’s very cranky when she’s tired. Yeesh. However, the upside to that is that it doesn’t last very long. Only a couple of hours, and then he gets reprieve from it and has his computer alonetime until whenever he gets tired (which can be anywhere between midnight and 4a). I’ve already had gone to sleep at around 9:30p or 10p, so that I can wake up fresh and happy and have had my 8 hours of sleep by the time Lily gets up in the morning. I get her to myself from 6 or 7a until whenever Dave wakes up. And then we both enjoy her for the rest of the day. Usually, Lily is asleep from 7a to about 10a, so I have that time as my alonetime to spend on the computer, do chores, clean up after her, clean her room, do her laundry, vacuum, clean the kitchen, wash the toilets, make breakfast for myself, etc. During this time is when I’m also on the computer the most, checking email, writing email, blogging, printing out photos, framing photos, etc. It’s nice.

It’s been a good schedule. During her waking times during the day, she is SO happy. She’s always smiling and cooing and near-giggling. She’s on the verge of just letting a giant giggle or laugh rip out. She has these cute little happy squeals for us all the time. She loves company, but is learning that she can also have fun with the toy rings or on her tummy by herself. Sometimes I’d take her in my sling and she hangs out with me while I’m going around the house doing odds and ends, and sometimes Dave puts her in his carrier and they dance and sing together. I give her a bath usually before noon. And the rest of the day is just spent playing and enjoying time with her.

1 Comment so far
Leave a comment

I noticed you had a thing going where you did most blogging and posting first thing in the morning :o )
I’m glad you all are adjusting so well

TrackBack URI

Leave a comment
Line and paragraph breaks automatic, e-mail address never displayed, HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>